It is ALWAYS a good idea to get approval from your Counsellor BEFORE committing to volunteer to ensure your placement is valid!
Community Service Hours
Every student must complete a minimum of 40 community involvement hours as part of the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). The purpose of the community involvement requirement is to encourage students to develop awareness and understanding of civic responsibility and of the role they can play and the contributions they can make in supporting and strengthening their community.
It is recommended that all students earn a minimum of 10 volunteer hours per year. Your child may begin their volunteer hours on July 1st of the summer before grade 9.
If students complete their community service hours WITHIN Holy Trinity, they need to fill out the Proposed Activity Form (below) and get the adult in charge to sign it.
If students complete hours OUTSIDE of the school, they require a LETTER from the sponsor.
Community Service Letter Requirements:
- Name of Student – first & last name
- Name of Organization – on organization letterhead is preferred
- Number of Hours completed
- Detailed list of duties completed (ex. Sarah B. completed 40 hours serving food for our veterans…)
- Contact Information of Organizer for follow up
Please check the Proposed Activity Form carefully for a DETAILED list of what activities are ACCEPTABLE for Community Service Hours!!
- Volunteer Halton – http://volunteerhalton.ca/vhome/
- Town of Oakville – https://www.oakville.ca/townhall/volunteer-opportunities.html
- Oakville Humane Society – http://omhs.ca/how-you-can-help/become-a-volunteer/
- Oakville Public Library – https://www.opl.on.ca/teens/volunteer
- Halton Regional Police – https://www.haltonpolice.ca/joinus/volunteer/index.php
- ROCK – Youth Aiding Youth – http://www.youthaidingyouth-rock.com/index
- Salvation Army – Oakville – http://www.salvationarmyoakville.ca/volunteer-opportunities